- The first thing I want to address is just how deceitful this administration, the spokespeople for it, and the one’s you have seen constantly on facebook. There is NO LAW that requires parents to be separated from their children. This is a lie the Trump administration is pushing to deflect away from the fact that no administration previously nor any previous congress passed any legislation of any kind that made this a mandated policy or something similar. Contrary to the lies it was not started nor a policy under Clinton or Obama, nor George W. Bush for that matter. This is a debunked lie (easily found by numerous fact-checking sites) and I encourage everyone to call it out where ever you see it. This is nothing more than that person trying to justify this stomach churning policy.
- Jeff Sessions announced this “zero-tolerance” policy. Trump administration staffer Stephen Miller, who has a long history dating back to high school of disgusting racism particularly against immigrants was the driving-force behind it. He has admitted that in an interview, said it was an easy decision, and along with that fact the Sessions announcement is all easy to find with a 20 second google search. This would take a phone call to stop. Not even a signature let alone an act of congress.
Speaking as someone who can’t have kids due to being sterile from chemo/radiation as a child, what is going on is still something I can’t imagine going through with any member of my family, friends, or just witnessing a stranger. It’s inexcusable from any decent human being regardless of political affiliation. I’ve never met a parent worth anything who would or should find something like this acceptable and I doubt any exist.
- I consider myself an atheist (a secular humanist to be more precise), but contrary to how many far-right religious extremist may think I have morals that are unwavering. I also come from a christian background and while I find much wrong with any religion, particularly hypocrisy, I will absolutely say many, many christians and all faiths find this, yes, this is DEPLORABLE, as well even if very conservative.
I have ranted about this before but people still never seem to get it through their mind that no one is an “illegal”. That word is not a noun. These are people seeking the best they can for their children, as any good parent would do and children who have not broken any law whatsoever. They are willing to risk their lives not to take a job from some US citizen but escape danger and poverty most of these disgusting apologists couldn’t fathom in their dreams.
I realize, unlike these far-right conservatives and alarmingly loyal Trump supporters do, I am LUCKY as my mother was lucky enough to be able to pop me out on this side of a manmade, invisible line we call a border. I, like any Trump supporter, could have by nothing but chance been born in another country surrounded by third world poverty and danger/fear on extremes I can’t imagine. You should be thankful and how dare you tell anyone to do something the “right way” when you’ve never done anything, any way to have become a citizen. No similar circumstance that would have you in that situation to pay tens of thousands of dollars for sometime’s year -plus long processes to be able to take a test I’m positive at least 95% of Trump supporters could pass and the vast majority could afford even with a year’s salary.
- Also unlike them I realize I have no right atop a high horse as well. Trump apologists, especially the line about “paying for them” should just be silent unless calling for justice. You don’t pay jack or you likely pay as much as them. They pay taxes like anyone whether it be local and state taxes, partcularly taxes like sales, gasoline, etc., and have paid a surplus into programs like Social Security because of the fact that over 40% of undocumented immigrants are here on legal visas that expired who pay into the system yet do not collect. The older Trump supporters particularly living on the work of these terrible immigrants they like to call them. They’re paying for YOU. Not the other way around. Essentially the things they may be eligible to use are schools for the children who never broke any law being brought here and their undocumented parents are paying for, or emergency room visits.
- Sit down, be quiet, or they might cut you off like you’d be cutoff by shipping all immigrants out with things like your food prices rising among the shortage of the undocumented immigrants who are directly responsible for not just the prices but the reason you have things like the vegetables on your plate. Don’t bite the hands that feed you, even if they are brown.
- When you say these people are criminals, you show nothing but your attempt to dehumanize them. The 40% of undocumented immigrants here have overstayed their visas have done nothing but commit a civil penalty under our laws. Also, according to federal law entering the United States without the proper documents is a misdemeanor that carries fines and a possible six months in jail. To just give an example, in the state of Virginia if you go 20 mph over the speed limit or exceed 80 mph over the speed limit it is a Class 1 misdemeanor which carries possibly up to a year in jail. So when you’ve passed someone on Interstate 81 where a large portion in Virginia the posted speed limit is 70mph and exceeded 80mph you have committed a more severe crime than these border crossers. -Do you think people who have sped 10 miles over the speed limit should be detained, put in a detention center and separated from their children while they are also detained for weeks in cages and perhaps after sent to a foster home? If somehow, some judge sentenced you to jail for a year for your crime which is allowed under Virginia law? No? I didn’t think so. Sit down. Be humble. Be thankful. Annnnnnd don’t you dare have the gall to hypocritically support something so barbaric for something not suported by law (and even if it did the law is barbaric along with it’s creators and enforcers), and to anyone who sees someone from another country as a human if you wouldn’t support something as ridiculous as my real-life potential scenario I used as an example.
- Lastly, I have to mention that while growing up in the 90’s and 2000’s I grew up and around many undocumented immigrants myself right here in SWVA. During this over decade of my upbringing the closeness of us as family friends to even relationships with multiple members of my family. Not to mention the familial bond between me, just as a kid and teen, I developed. Every single one I had met came here as a child/teenager. Every single one of them were some of the nicest, generous, and hardworking people i have ever met working from dawn to dusk in the tobacco fields at that time. All the while these people were being paid paltry wages to begin with but even harsher they were were paid far less than the white workers that would occasional work in the fields with them for the few weeks they could last in the scorching Virginia sun. Even as a kid helping to just lay the sticks to help out being exhausted when I would hang with them, and my family, in the fields the days we would visit them at work. I would trade 10,000 of these terrifyingly Trump loyalists defending and lying for him for a single one of those people I grew up with.
Some people need to prioritize. They are identifying as some republican, conservative, or ignorant to mask their racial ignorance and racism. These are human beings. Sorry, but I’ve never met a single person in my life, and this includes two President’s and countless amazing people working on campiagns I’ve had the pleasure of meeting…along with the undocumented immigrants I grew up with and some I know now, who are better than each other. That means Billy Bob with the memes joking about children being abused, and yes this is abuse, and targeting good people who lack a number Billy Bob was lucky to have been born with. Either understand this, think about it, or reject it with or without merit and live a life of that of a coward, ignorant, xenophobic and racist person that will always espouse these views until they croak and the rest of us march forward past them and onward as progress is a fire in us who care that will never be extinguished. NEVER.